Saturday, September 5, 2009

A Small Thought Inspired by a Grass

My daughter Jessi and I walked over to a friend's house the other day to take care of their cats while they were on vacation. On the way, I noticed a house that I had never really seen before. It was one of those 80s modern remodels, quite nice really in a boxy sort of way. It had lots of windows (a requisite for my seal of appoval) and not so many funny angles that you wondered whether the thing was coming or going.

What struck me about the house was some of the ornamental grasses that had become overgrown. OK, living in California it is pretty easy to have this happen. I'm not even sure what one does to keep these under control, having never trimmed one myself. But it did seem to me a comment on the optimism everyone has when they see plans that align with their vision of the cosmic all. We don't ask, "How do I keep this up so it looks good in 10 years?" We say "Wow, that looks so cool!"

And I think a part of balance is learning to ask how we trim our ornamental gresses. How much TLC does a hobby or accessory or whatever take, and can we spare the time to give it the attention it needs to really thrive and add value to our lives?

No comments: